BARC SEC Photo of the day


BOSS Racing Ad

Summary of Races, Brands Hatch, 29th-30th August 2015

By Adam Grant
Photos: Rodney Tietjen and Gary Hawkins

Sevenesque With seven races the south east centre had a large proportion of the bank holiday weekend meeting at Brands Hatch. Starting with the Sevenesque series, which was opened up to allcomers as well, it boded well to see a full grid of 29 cars. The first few laps of race one were very hectic, as Ian Conibear and Rob Singleton battled side by side, with Christian Pittard eager to join in. When John Cross dropped his Seat into the Paddock bend gravel trap the safety car appeared, which calmed things down for a short while. On the re-start Singleton edged to the front and seemed to have control, until Pittard edged past Conibear. Just half a second covered these three at the chequered flag with Colin Watson in fourth heading another close trio which included Rob Grant and Graham Charman. David Tilley won the allcomers slick tyred group, as Rod Birley headed the treaded tyre section in the Bevan owned Honda Integra.

Race two and Singleton headed the jostling pack of Caterhams again. This time the safety car was dispatched for Perry Winch’s Renault Clio to be extricated. On the re-start it was Singleton again at the forefront, but on a slippery track a new challenger suddenly appeared. Birley had started 29th (and last) in his Escort WRC this time, and was making rapid progress through the field. The leading Boss racing Caterham upped his pace as the black saloon car appeared in second place with two laps to go. Despite closing a four second gap, Birley just failed to catch the fleet C400 and Singleton scored a deserved second win. With Pittard non-starting, Conibear looked like he would secure third spot, but Watson had other ideas and snatched the position by 0.023 of a second. Grant and Charman took fifth and sixth again. Ken Angell took the treaded tyre allcomers class this time.

TinTops The Cannons Tin Tops had a triple header this time, and it was a bit of a surprise to see Birley in pole position with the Integra. An inspired second lap, before the rain arrived, gave him the best time. Tom Bridger lined up alongside, setting his best time right at the end of qualifying, as the track started to dry again. The first race saw Bridger just get the jump on Birley as they rounded Paddock bend. Further back the unfortunate Carey Lewis found himself stuck in the gravel with his Honda Civic. The safety car was immediately deployed, and the field lined up in single file. The green flag saw Bridger quickly set off as Whiteman moved up to second with Barnaby Davies in hot pursuit. The nimble Toyota soon took second position and closed in on the leading Rover Tomcat. Two laps later and Davies hit the front. The leading quartet then held station to the end, in the order Davies, Bridger, Whiteman and Birley. Bassett brought his Peugeot 205 home in fifth, with Bob Hosier sixth. Cliff Pellin held off Dan Adams to win class TP, whilst the bustling T3 pack was headed by Ryan Steel.

Race two saw Bridger pop into the lead again, with Davies hustling him. A small error at Clearways saw the Starlet driver ploughing through the gravel trap, but only losing one place (to Whiteman). However, a loose turbo pipe saw the Toyota heading into the pits. A frantic battle between Birley and Bassett raged for most of the race, until the blue Peugeot held sway over the final two laps. The paint on the back bumper of the Honda showed how intense the fight had been. Bob Hosier had looked like joining this contest, but obviously thought better of it as he came home fifth. Pellin took sixth overall and the class TP win, whilst Dominic Ryan got the better of Steel in class T3.

The partially reversed grid for race three saw Carey Lewis on pole position with Daniel Adams alongside. As usual the more fancied runners were a couple of rows further back. The frantic first lap action saw Bob Hosier emerge in the lead, with Bassett up to second, Bridger third and Lewis trying to cling on to fourth. Whiteman disappeared into the Paddock bend gravel trap on lap two, whilst Hosier had a time consuming spin. All of which left Bridger in the lead, with Bassett temporarily second until Davies swept past. Next up was Lewis, but he now had to contend with Birley, who was searching for a way past. Pellin had already seen off Adams and was heading for another class TP victory. Meanwhile Davies was putting Bridger under considerable pressure, whilst Birley swept around the outside of Druids to dislodge Lewis. The blue Tomcat staved off the diminutive Starlet until lap 13, when Davies finally hit the front. He then secured his second win of the day. Likewise Ryan Steel took class T3 for the second time, whilst Ken Angell won the best prepared car award.

Motorsport News Saloons The ever popular Motorsport News saloons provided plenty of entertainment. In the first race Birley stroked into an early lead as Wise became embroiled in a five way battle for second. Clearly the yellow Escort Cosworth was not quite running at 100%, which meant that Ian Butler soon took up second position pursued by Tom Knight. Andy Banham, Dan Palmer and Dan Cowan also joined in the fun, which made for a spectacular sight, as they all jostled together. The first casualty was Butler, whose turbocharger wilted under the strain. Meanwhile Palmer was going really well in his Mitsubishi and he efficiently picked off the group to go into second place, in fact he started closing in on Birley towards the end. However, Rod had everything under control, as he maintained his winning streak. Palmer took the runner up spot, with Cowan just edging past Knight for third on the run to the chequered flag. Banham took a good fifth from the troubled Wise, with Turner taking the class C honours just in front of Nevill. Christoforou was next, claiming class E honours, as Bill Richards rounded out the top ten with a class D win.

Race two again saw Birley power into the lead, but this time Wise gave chase in his revitalised Ford. Palmer pulled off at Druids on lap two, so Knight initially gave chase to the two Cosworths. Cowan fell away slightly as the pace was quickening. Birley kept the gap to Wise at roughly 1.5 seconds, as he took his 11th outright win of the year. Malcolm never gave up, but had to setlle for the second step on the podium. Six seconds further back, Knight again took class B honours as well as third overall. Cowan was a lonely fourth, but well clear of Banham who was being shadowed by the battling Turner and Nevill. Matt took the class C victory, but only just. Christoforou had been re-classified into class C with his potent Mk.1 Ford Escort and he came home eighth. Richards saw off Rothery for the class D win, with Andy Pipe triumphing in class E. First timer Adam Mew won the best prepared car award, with his green Ford Escort Cosworth. Both of these races, plus the three Cannon’s Tin Top encounters, were filmed for later broadcast on Motors TV.

The Tin tops and MN saloons join forces to tackle the Brands GP circuit on September 12/13, as part of the super car weekend. This replaces the cancelled Lydden meeting.

Next Race Meeting:

See you in 2019

Latest Galleries:

Latest gallery BARC SEC TinTop Championship,
17th November 2018

Latest gallery BARC SEC Modified Saloon Car and TinTop Championship,
22nd September 2018

Latest gallery Scrapco Avon Intermarque Championship,
22nd September 2018

Last Race Results

Modified Saloon Car:

1. Rod Birley
2. Steve Rothery
3. Malcolm Wise
See full results


1. Kamran Tunio
2. Kevin Palmer
3. Steve Everson
See full results


1. Steve Burrows
2. CHris Brockhurst
3. Lewis Smith
See full results

2018 Championship Winners (Provisional):

BARC SEC Modified Saloon Car:

Adrian Bradley
See full standings


Rikki Taylor
See full standings

Scrapco / Avon Intermarque:

Lewis Smith
See full standings